Friday, August 1, 2014

The Great Deceiver by Andrew Cormier


Before getting into this, let me say, this book isn’t my cup of tea. The Great Deceiver is a fictionalized memoir, narrated by a man who becomes a tool of Satan. This version of Hell is structured and run something like a business, acts of chaos going on all around, but not chaotic in its function. It reminded me a little of the Incarnations of Immortality series in the way the supernatural is described as one would a job or a company. This part of the story I found very interesting.

The beginning is dry and starts too early in the narrator’s life for my taste. That said, the story is well written. Once the narrator dies, the world build gets quite interesting and imaginative. The horrors of Hell are not shied away from and neither are they gratuitously embellished. The details that were chosen for description and the way they were put forward demonstrated a keen intelligence and a body of knowledge on the part of the writer that I admired.

This story has two endings, demonstrating the exploratory nature of this book for the writer. I liked the second one, because it wasn’t the predictable ending and it exemplified the overall theme of wanting prevalent in the book. It was the right ending for this story.

This story begs me to postulate whether a book should have duel endings. Some movies do, but not the one that you see in the theater. Does that matter? I think it does. Two endings disrupts the story at a crucial point.

Your perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment