Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Writing - Switching Gears

As I've mentioned, I'm in this romance phase or mode or whatever the hell you call it when you can't settle into the Space Opera you'd planned to work on this month. On the reading side of things I've waited for Deborah Harkness' The Tree of Life since I finished Shadows. I started reading it and set it down, bored with the story. I sat down Mercy Thompson after two chapters - and that never happens. It would be back to the Black Dagger Brotherhood for me, except the next story is Butch's and I already hate what she's built for that one and I can't read them out of order. No skipping allowed. It drives me nuts when I read a series out of order.

This is generally when I would go back to writing. I can't seem to get anything written on my Girl Found side story WIP, and even it's something of a romance. True, it is in the same world build as Girl Found, and it has occurred to me that I need a break from that. So I sorted through all my other story starts and found one that appealed.

Medieval Romance.

Yup, you heard right. Medieval romance. I have four story starts in that genre that I worked through nearly fifteen years ago. I picked the one that has the most done. I finished the outline two days ago and the necessary research last night. Now I'm working my way through the rough draft start.

I'm thinking novella, which means looking at the word count I'm about a third of the way done. Pure word count on a rough draft means little with me, as I generally go through a story no less than five times before I'm even close to nailing down what I'm really writing about. I constantly feel like the most disorganized Pantser in existence, but I do have words on a page, which is always a good place to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment