Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Book to Movie: City of Bones

I always approach the movie version of a book thinking I'll reread it before I see it and then I don't. I loved the City of Bones. I bought it on a whim, read it in one sitting, and immediately wanted to head out for the second book.

That's a two hundred sixty mile round trip drive for me.

Before I set out on a Saturday afternoon drive for no reason, I looked for the book online at my favorite bookstore to make sure they'd have it. They didn't. Book two wasn't out yet. The temper tantrum that ensued would do a two year old proud.

After loving the book I cautiously anticipated any movie that might come of it. Obviously I didn't hurry out and see the movie. I don't care for the actor cast as Jace. I don't care for Alex. Clary is okay. I like Simon and Isabel. Jonathon Rhys-Meyers as Valentine was an unexpected treat. I like the movie personification of Magnus better than the book. 

The chemistry isn't there between Clary and Jace. Jace is more distant in the books than the movie made him out to be. The rest of it seems to follow the book fairly well. From a visual point of view, the settings are darker than I would have liked for them to be. That hasn't much to do with the book and everything to do with making the most of what you have to work with and the book had a lot of visually interesting settings that could have been fabulous. These sets could have been total eye candy. Some of them were. Too many of them were monochrome. Flat.

Other scenes popped to life. Clary finding the cup was one. Much more memorable in the movie than from the book. The drama scene over Clary and Jace finding out they were brother and sister hit and was gone. Much of the movie felt that way, like too much was crammed in too little a space.

In the end, I would have rather reread the book. Maybe I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment